Monday, 14 November 2011

One of my greatest obsessions in life is old television commercials. I am convinced that I was born in the wrong decade, and as such I have quickly become immersed in the culture of old television commercials. One of my favorites is an old margarine commercial that puts 'Mother Nature' in an interesting place indeed.
Short sweet and simple. An amusing take on how mother nature feels about the idea of a man made food spread can imitate, or even be better then the butter that her hand creates. She obviously flies into a 'hysterical' rage at this and takes it out on the unsuspecting forest.

This typical view of 'mother nature' is nothing new, she has been portrayed as a Grecian goddess with a heart full of barely concealed rage when it comes to defiance. this motif of mother earth has shrouded women from its arrival. It is expected that this mother earth loses her logic just as any other rational woman would, given that situation. It labels women as hysterical and idyllic creatures waiting for the right moment before breakdown...

Butter, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Even though the lighting is really bad, I can see where the view of mother nature as a spiteful and headstrong women come into play. She is determined her way is right, and to show her power she fly's into a rage when a man tells her she is wrong.
    I also would take note that she is all smiles, and pleasant stories as she talks to "the animals as if they were her children" sitting around the breakfast table. She is seen in a "homelike space" though it is shot in the outside world. This can be seen to represent the need for women in an enclosed space, and most commonly in the kitchen, where she could very well be discussing the merits of butter over margarine.
    ~ Rosebud

    ReplyDelete