These images are comical and can produce a laugh as that is the point of most subvertising ads. But in the end, what is not funny is the reality of our consumption.
Most of us are victim to brands and labels of clothing, footwear, fragrance and many more. It is inevitable that in our everyday lives we come across ads, billboards, or commercials trying to sell products and we do not look past the label we have all come to recognize. The ads of clothing brands and shoes, although not directly affecting our health, can affect others' health for the workers making the product in third world countries. But what about the products sold to us that do affect our health directly?
This image is of recognizable brands that portray a latent message of "Work, Buy, Consume, Die", which is basically what our everyday lives have come to consist of without even a second-thought.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hc-ps/tobac-tabac/res/news-nouvelles/risks-risques-eng.php
Another issue marketed heavily is alcohol. Just like tobacco, brands of alcohol market themselves as the "in" thing and tell you what to drink to be "cool".
Most will agree, having a drink with friends is good once in a while, and a drink on the weekend won't kill you. True. However, the excess at which alcohol companies market their product leads to the belief that you have to drink this to have these kind of friends, and have this kind of fun. Drinking then becomes the thing to do, and to be that cool person you drink their product more and more.
If you know how to handle alcohol and be responsible, it is not a problem. But alcohol leads to so many problems that affect many people.
Alcohol often leads to car accidents, assault, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome in infants, overconsumption, health issues, sexual assault, can influence drug use, and so many more.
Finally, although the products we buy on a daily basis will not always kill us, there are some glorified killers that will eventually lead us to, "Work, buy, consume, die."
- Regina Filangi



Regina Filangi, I completely agree with this take on Cigarette and Alcohol advertising campaigns.
ReplyDeleteThis blog led me to think about the graphic labels on cigarette boxes that counteract with these (for example) Camel Cigarette ads which portray a "coolness" to smoking.
Perhaps like the extremely unsettling warning labels on cigarette boxes, the FDA should also try this method with alcohol bottles. These alocohol ads almost always portray an idealistic side to drinking; Gorgeous guests/sexy females (all assumed to be age of majority), mingling and having the best time, and the commercial is finished with an image of whatever alcoholic beverage they are trying to sell. When in reality, minors everywhere get ahold of alcohol and the parties are no where near as glamorous as these companies try to make it out to be, and lead to a number of horrible circumstances. Not to mention many families living in a household or have a family member who is an alochoic are forced to see the extremely unglamorous side of drinking. I wonder what they think of these alocohol ads?
-Meryle Girl
Although I do agree that alcohol is glamorized more than it should be, I do disagree with some of the points you made. A lot of commercials for alcohol do state that you should drink responsibly, and not drink and drive. In addition, many alcohol companies are involved in programs to discourage people, especially teenagers, from drinking and driving.
ReplyDeleteIn addition, there was one point made that really got to me... "Alcohol often leads to... sexual assault...". I just want to point out that, although alcohol lowers inhibitions, it cannot be used as an excuse for sexually assaulting another person, and should also not be used as a measure of blame (As in, "You were drunk, it's your fault you were assaulted."). Not saying this is the point you were trying to make at all, it's just the way it sounded to me.
- Mr. F
Mr. F I do agree that some companies do take measures to make people aware to be responsible. However I feel the majority of ads only state "Please Drink Responsibly" very quickly at the end of their ad after showing the "good times" its product will provide. On the websites of most there is a section on tips to drink responsibly, and although good, who checks the website before they buy a bottle?
ReplyDeleteFor alcohol awareness and responsibility, most ads are of organizations like MADD, Concerned Children's Advertisers etc.
As for the sexual assault bit, I definitely did not mean that alcohol is an excuse when assault happens, only that it hinders decision making in many ways for both men and women, and is often a contributing factor.
This sexual assault website states "any situation involving alcohol or drugs heightens the risk of sexual assault dramatically".
http://www.sexassault.ca/sexualassault.htm
I agree with the statements made within this blog. Discussing the negative effects consumerism has on the population as a whole is something that should be talked about more in everyday dialogue. What I enjoyed most about these advertisements was the recognizability of them. Even though images were flipped around and words were changed I could easily identify the original advertisement. I would like to say I really enjoyed the middle ad with the hospital scene because it does display a much more serious consequence than the small photos on the cigarette boxes. The ad requires you to look for the hidden meaning and since it is so much harder to see, it makes it more devastating once it is understood. I also like how you tied in the direct consequences on the health of the population through the consumption of these products. It took me a moment to think about why wearing a name brand would affect a person's health until it dawned on me that children are making those clothes in very harsh conditions and for very small wages in far away countries. I think you've done a really good job at explaining the severe consequences of consumerism and through this I believe people will think more critically the next time they decide to purchase something.
ReplyDelete- Cleo Patrick
I think the point being made here is very true. I know personally, there are times when I see the label of a brand that I like and think "WOW that looks great!" and don't even think of whether it is worth the money or consider the hard work of others in the third world to create the article I want. It is a an unbecoming fact of Western culture that what we see, we want.
ReplyDeleteProducts come at us all day, everyday and it is hard not to give in. That is why I think attention grabbing images are so useful in making a point.
A picture really is worth a thousand words.
~ Rosebud
Wow! This made me think about the way we live everyday. We are in a society where many of us buy brand name clothing/products and many individuals try to be in the "social norm". I agree with what you are saying in this blog and it raised a lot of questions to the readers. It is true, we work (for money)- buy (to fit in to the mythical/social norm/our society)-consume (to fit into standards in our society)and then eventually- die/some of these products can kill us (like you mentioned). In the advertisements that have "work, buy, consume and die" you can easily see how there are consequences in consumerism. Personally, I never realized how much consumerism can cause so many consequences for individuals as a whole. As Cleo Patrick said, our society sometimes forgets about who makes our clothing and products. Young children, poor individuals are trying to have money and try to produce things for their families by working in unhealthy conditions.
ReplyDeleteThe Absolute advertisement stood out to me because it is true that many individuals do not think about not drinking and driving because they had a few drinks. Culture Jamming can help many individuals because it has real meaning behind it and makes individuals think about how society plays a role in our life that can change our lives. "Work, Buy, Consume, Die".
-FuzzyBubbles