Check out http://broadbrands.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/feminist-culture-jams-on/
"Broad Bands" their definition of culture jamming is "Culture jamming can be defined as modifying mass media to convey a conflicting message. Jams can be obvious or subvert depending on the context. The movement aims to expose cultural assumptions and political attitudes." I love reading each groups different definitions of culture jamming. I love how they say "to convey a CONFLICTING message"
I just wanted to quickly comment on these two items that you brought forward. First off, pretzel chips?... Really? I actually cannot believe that a product as simple as pretzels would use the line "You can never be too thin". It honestly makes me wonder who the hell works for these advertising companies? Does any thought at all go into the decisions that are made and the ads that are chosen? They must literally have a bunch of monkeys sitting around running these corporate disasters. Second, I also really love the photo you posted!! It is so matter-of-fact and doesn't require a second read. I think companies would be completely lost without the use of sexism, because then they would have to find some other way to degrade or devalue humans.
B-Bloggin,
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to quickly comment on these two items that you brought forward. First off, pretzel chips?... Really? I actually cannot believe that a product as simple as pretzels would use the line "You can never be too thin". It honestly makes me wonder who the hell works for these advertising companies? Does any thought at all go into the decisions that are made and the ads that are chosen? They must literally have a bunch of monkeys sitting around running these corporate disasters. Second, I also really love the photo you posted!! It is so matter-of-fact and doesn't require a second read. I think companies would be completely lost without the use of sexism, because then they would have to find some other way to degrade or devalue humans.
Cheers
The Veiled Interpreter