What stuck with me the most is how many pictures and examples of culture jamming were geared towards women and their bodies. From the fashion world to celebrities to numerous ads featuring scantily clad, over-sexualized women used to sell their idea or product has seeped into the minds of many young and old.
There wasn't one particular "jammer" I found that does this but many depictions of how society had warped the ideal woman into something that many try to be but no one will ever attain.
By playing around with popular ads that feature women, it can shock some people into realizing how keep following what is given to us via mainstream media rather than forging our own path. Women are likened to pieces of meat, inanimate objects and hypersexualized and culture jamming (or body jamming as I like to call it) actual paints that picture for us.
Now women I feel are the main targets but men get their fair share of pressure as well of what the ideal perfect man should be. Endless arrays of six packs, overly jacked and veiny muscles grace many ads today.
Culture jamming allows people to sometimes shock the general public into seeing what is the actual message we are given without us even knowing it. Keep on jammin kids!!
Bakerella




I really like your points being made, and while I was searching for images, I came across a couple of the ones that you have shared here. The beauty industry is putting such an unachievable image on body image that girls today are more confused than ever by the messages that they are receiving from advertisements.
ReplyDeleteAn add I would have included, just to show the opposite side to the body image being portrayed all around us would be the add created by Dove about the photoshopping that goes into the billboard adds that we see on the road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hibyAJOSW8U&feature=related
It is a great way of showing how some companies are trying to make a difference for the teens of the world who are looking at the images in magazines and trying to become those women.
On a final note, i think it is great that you included the portion on men being told how to look with a six pack, and raging biceps. The media is cruel, despite gender, because, like most women, men aren't shaped the same and to be constantly forced to see images of a body you can never have is hurtful and causes much self-hate, when in reality, your body works for you.
Great Post!
~ Rosebud