Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Culture Jamming & B.L.F


Culture Jamming:
take the classic expression of ‘corporate culture’ and add a little twist that redefines their meaning in a revolutionary direction, and sends it back in their faces. These Culture Jammers tamper with the corporate mindshare. Amount of brand recognition needs to be challenged.
One of the Culture Jamming organizations I found most compelling during my research was BLF: Billboard Liberation Front.
BLF and other Culture Jammers:
-Engage in activities to raise consciousness
-Encourage critical perspectives on advertising and the messages we are force fed everyday

Here is a link that provides a BLF history and timeline that dates back to the 1970s (Began in 1977)
BLF is a private, worker controlled organization headquartered in San Francisco. Their work is extremely underground and secure, ‘hush-hush’ status, due to its protected working environment with no phone number and no permanent address.
Such independence within this organization allows for unrestricted creative liberty.
BLFs main ‘clients’ include, Philip Morris, McDonalds (duh!), Wachovia Bank, NSA and AT&T, Johnny Walker, and Courvoisier, Banana Republic,  to name a few.

http://www.billboardliberation.com/indepth.html

One of the most publicized billboard hijacking: Shit Happens billboard – in support of an oil spill in Southern Alaska in 1989 – the billboard originally read “Hit Happens”

-There is no design in the system (ex: not able to talk back to the news you hear in TV)  to hear the public’s response so these hijackers use their creativity as their way of having a voice.
-Even though it is small scale it is still revolutionary
-disrupting and questioning the main stream, influential medial images (whether it be advertisements or merchandise)
-their aim is at opening up the closed eyes
- Mind share: branding the youths brains by exposing them to their products.
-there is no free speech anymore; you have to pay mass amounts to get a simple message out

Here is also a link to the trailer of Culture Jam: Hijacking commercial Culture (could not get the full version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIHeRh3vxMk



-






- ace55kg


4 comments:

  1. this is fascinating! The fact that billboards, a major form of advertisements in large cities, are able to be hijacked is a work of geniuses -- how can the artists leave their mark behind without being seen, are they ninjas?

    As I read through the site about the history of BLF, the notion that they were "improving" the billboards leapt out at me. I agree with the idea, but I would say the artists are "revealing" the nature of the advertisement rather than improving it. As well, I took into account the physical dangers these artists put themselves through in order to deliver a message and resist media: the danger of being up on a billboard (probably during nightime), participating in "unlawful behaviour" (defacing property, trespassing etc). The artists even work on alibis ahead of time to prevent being connected with the statement art. It is as though members of the BLF are silent heralds; they leave work behind with only the credit to themselves, for no one else will know who created it.

    great find =)

    -- OwlEyes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of the BLF; I'll see if I can get a copy of the video! Great find ace55k! Do you think their work is effective? ineffective? why?

    The Doctor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their works are effective if one’s mind is open and aware to the reality surrounding corporate mindshare. Because Western society reinforces and encourages the fast pace life style many culture jams are at risk of being unnoticed. If you see a billboard with the giant golden arches on it we automatically know it is advertising the beloved McDonalds and often disregard the text that goes along with the image (culture jammed or not). Because of this ignorance to details I am sure many potentially effective jam adjusted advertisements go unnoticed. Ignorance is not bliss – it is just that, ignorance!
    The culture jams I have researched and learned about throughout various courses in my university career have undoubtedly opened my eyes to this reality of social advocacy but unfortunately I think I can say positively that without these courses I would still remain oblivious to these truths (I am definitely thankful for having this knowledge now!)
    I feel as though these are effective for those who chose to be affected by it – If it doesn’t get people acting it sure gets people thinking. Thought and knowledge have the potential to be deadly powerful if action is followed.
    It is also hard being such an underground organization to have the outward exposure it needs to prove its full effect. If culture jammers/ings were as popular as the organizations they are jamming themselves the jamming communities would have that much more exposure and respect.
    It is not just the creativity but the passion and risks that goes into these acts of advocacy that intrigues me to explore and learn more about this secretive, alternative culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great analysis - thanks!

    The Doctor

    ReplyDelete