Through my research on culture jamming, I found the same definition that B-Bloggin had stated. I also found a uTube video that gives information about culture jamming and why it happens; and it states that culture jammers are a group of people that advocate against consumerism, and play with highly circulated products and their ads, to make a statement. They pretty much (from my understanding) show the consumer what the companies don’t want you to know. They questions advertisements and products by getting the real message out. They show consumers what they are actually paying into. I found this to be very interesting, because really the world today is all about consumerism and getting the newest, most popular product. And most of us buy into these new products without actually looking into the facts behind them. I know personally that I don’t really go and research a brand or product and what they are all about before buying it, I just consume what is being fed to me.
Here is the uTube video that gave me some information:
I found a really interesting website that discusses culture jamming, groups that culture jam, and consumerism. This website gives insight about why people hijack advertisements, and advocate against consumerism. They are actually arguing both sides and look into the fact that culture jamming can be seen as a brand itself. Which I completely agree with, because I think that it is a trend, and it is feeding the consumer information (just like an advertisement), but it’s trying to get the consumer not to buy, other than the producer who wants you to by the product.
Here is the website, for those who want to look at the insight that it provides.
On this website i also found a group called BUGAUP which stands for Billboard Utilising Graffitists Against Unhealthy Promotions, they have been doing these types of things since 1979, and it started with billboards, and then turned into a culture jamming movement. Although, this group aims more towards unhealthy lifestyle, and advertisements that promote such a lifestyle, they are still fighting for a cause to get a message out to consumers. Which in my opinion is what culture jamming is all about.
Here is a website with their information and also some picture of some of their work:
http://bugaup.org/
tm-blogger
Great finds - and a nice definition to help others get to what culture jamming is. Thanks tm-blogger!
ReplyDeleteThe Doctor